i thought I was something of an expert on hunger, but this is an entirely new kind.
Mockingjay Part 1, Characters + Promotional Images
I hope the inside of my bag doesn’t reflect my personality because it’s very boring. Just a wallet, phone, chapstick.
Summary: I knew by signing that dotted line that I was joining a desperate league of barely-adults willing to give up their bodies for the long-lived enjoyment of the few and the wealthy.
Warnings: explicit sexual content
Why does everyone hate Gale so much?
Reason why people hate Gale:
1. OMGSZA HE KILELLED PRIM!!!!11
2. HE TRYED tO STEEL KATNUS FROM PETA
3. HES BLOOd tHIRSTY
Reasons why these reasons are invalid:
1. He didn’t kill prim, he just developed the bomb that killed her. (Like seriously people, re-read the books.)
2. He’s obviously liked Katniss for a while, and then this guy comes and steals Katniss from him. He’s just trying to ‘win Katniss back’. It even says in the book, that she would’ve probably ended up with Gale had the games not happened.
3. I’m sure if you’ve been starving for your entire life, you got whipped 40 times, and got your best friend stolen from you into a death arena 2 times, you’d want to kill anyone that had anything to do with it.
Just throwing this out there.
1. I don’t have issues with Gale because he “killed” Prim; I struggle with his character because I don’t agree with most of the methods he chose to support and employ during Mockingjay. We can debate all day over whether he felt remorse, whether he and the rest of the rebels were at all justified. But for someone who railed against a system that mercilessly took innocent life, his willingness to participate in the creation and execution of tools and tactics that could easily do the same is disturbing.
2. I don’t know anyone who’s argued that Gale tries to “steal” Katniss from Prim. Katniss is an individual. She makes her own choices. She isn’t Gale or Peeta’s property to be passed back and forth. The issue I have with Gale, in regards to his relationship with Katniss, primarily revolves around the ways in which he chooses to withhold kindness, friendship and support from her in Catching Fire unless she’s behaving that works for him. He seems to hold her responsible for the pain he felt over having to watch her with Peeta. And he really lets his resentment over that show.
From what we see through their interactions, there are many times that he puts his pain at being stilted above her own trauma and suffering. And that’s not really admirable behavior from someone who claimed to be her best friend. He dismisses her distress over her loved ones’ lives being threatened. And for all his talk of rebellion, at least part of the reason he didn’t want to go with her to the woods was because he knew Peeta would be there, which is extremely petty.
But my biggest issue with Gale and his treatment of Katniss (and this is not to say the way she treats him is perfect, either), was this moment, in which Gale puts his grief over losing an in-road to Katniss’ heart over her devastation at watcher her sister die:
"That was the one thing I had going for me. Taking care of your family."
Because the only way I can interpret that is: “Yes, I sacrificed my time and safety to help you provide for your family. But at the end of the day, I was doing it because I thought maybe you’d fall in love with me.”
3. Is Gale blood-thirsty? I don’t think I’d go that far. But he is starving for vengeance. Is that justified? Probably. But the person he showed himself to be in pursuit of that vengeance is troubling (for the reasons listed above).
Because sure, you can say “if you went through what he went through, you’d want to mow people down, too.” But Katniss went through every bit as much as Gale did - I’d argue, probably, more, because she lived the horror of the Games twice. Had to put her life on the line in the most obvious of ways to protect her loved ones from the Capitol long before Gale did.
And Katniss saw serious issues with Gale’s plan at the Nut; felt ill over the concept of the parachutes long before they lead to the death of her sister. You can want justice, but not be willing to go to any lengths to get it.
Katniss says it better than anyone else could. “Gale’s fire, kindled with hatred and rage.” His thirst, if you will, has a destructive quality that’s difficult for a lot of people to relate to. Hence the ‘hate.’
Sometimes when I’m alone, I take the pearl from where it lives in my pocket and try to remember the boy with the bread, the strong arms that warded off nightmares on the train, the kisses in the arena.
my mom thought otp meant “oh, the pain.”
what’s the difference